One of the primary aims of the Philippine Science High School System is to develop a culture of research, not only among its employees but also among its scholars who, in the future, will potentially build the academic and scientific workforce of the country and contribute to its progress.
PSHS scholars are trained in basic inquiry skills and in scientific investigation and problem-solving the moment they enter the institution. They are guided through until they are able to complete a relevant scientific study of their own that may provide new information as well as address the needs of the community. Scholars are encouraged to communicate their research outputs by joining reputable academic and research fairs as well as congresses such as the distinguished DepEd-Intel National Science and Engineering Fair which leads to the International Science and Engineering Fair.
PSHS offers the following Research Courses to its scholars:
|Old Curriculum||Science and Technology Research 1||1.0||3rd Year|
|Science and Technology Research 2||1.0||4th Year|
|PSHSS Six-Year Curriculum||Science and Technology Research 1||1.0||Grade 10|
|(K-12 Curriculum)||Science and Technology Research 2||2.0||Grade 11|
|Science and Technology Research 3||2.0||Grade 12|
A special course in Probability and Statistics is also offered to Grade 9 students in the PSHSS Six-Year Curriculum to augment the statistics skills of its scholars in preparation for Science and Technology Research Courses. Students are also taught computer graphics such as CorelDraw and Photoshop in connection with the design of research poster presentations.
In PSHS-Cagayan Valley Campus, student investigations fall across the following Research Areas:
• Biology (Health and Medicine, Animal Sciences, Plant Sciences, Microbiology, Agriculture)
• Chemistry (General Chemistry, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry)
• Physics and Engineering (Material Science, Construction Engineering)
• Mathematics (Algebra, Applied Mathematics, Ethnomathematics)
• Computer Science (Algorithms, Data Bases, Networking and Communication, Computational Science, Computer Graphics, Software Engineering, Programming)
• Environmental Science (Soil and Water Quality, Bioremediation)
To ensure the quality of research outputs, PSHS-Cagayan Valley Campus has made linkages with the following institutions and sought their expertise and support:
• Nueva Vizcaya State University, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya
• Saint Mary's University, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya
• Provincial Health Office, Province of Nueva Vizcaya
• Department of Agriculture – Nueva Vizcaya Experiment Station (DA-NVES) (previously Department of Agriculture – Cagayan Valley Hillyland Research Outreach Station or DA-CVHILROS)
• Department of Agriculture – Cagayan Valley Integrated Agricultural Research Center (DA-CVIARC)
• Institute of Biology, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City
• Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Region
• Others, see linkages
Faculty Researches (Abstracts) (Under Construction)
Student Researches (Abstracts)
The student researches highlighted in this site have participated in at least one national research congress/fair.
- Published: 15 October 2014